A fine recipe from Francesca, hostess of Torre Marabino
Our “Torre Marabino” relay is located in a secluded oasis in the south-east of Sicily. Thanks to our organic farm and our biodynamically operated winery, we offer our guests in the in-house restaurant "La Moresca" our products mainly according to the "farm to table" principle. Everything that we cannot produce ourselves, we get from the region.
My favorite specialty is fish with Sicilian ingredients, so I'm happy to share a very personal favorite recipe with you today: tripe with salted cod. A Sicilian wine not only tastes great with it, it rounds off the dish wonderfully.
Ingredients for tripe with salted cod:
For people 4
For the tripe (first phase):
- 600 g of clean veal tripe
- 4 l of water
- 40 cl white wine
- 10 cl white wine vinegar
- 1 green lemon
- 50 g sea salt
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 g parsley
For the tripe (second phase):
- 480 g cooked veal tripe
- 70 g double tomato paste
- 200 g diced raw potatoes
- 150 g white onion in julienne
- 10 g basil
- 70 cl vegetable stock
For the stockfish:
- 280 g soaked salt cod in slices (70 g each)
- 300 g of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 g cinnamon sticks
- 2 g of fennel seeds
- 1 g vanilla pod
- 10 g lemon juice
For the spinach:
- 5 g candied garlic
- 300 g fresh spinach
- 5 g salt
1. Wash the tripe thoroughly and drain under running water for an hour.
2. Blanch the tripe with all ingredients in cold water (first phase). As soon as the water boils, continue boiling for at least 25 minutes. Drain the tripe and leave to cool. Cut into strips and set aside.
3. Fry the onion in a saucepan, add the tripe, fry lightly, add the double concentrate and the basil, deglaze with the broth and cook slowly.
4. Add the diced potatoes and continue cooking until everything is done. Adjust to taste.
5. For the salted cod: put the oil in a baking dish, add all the aromatic elements and bring the oil to 75 ° C. Dip the cod slices and continue cooking at an oil temperature of 65 ° C for 7 minutes.
6. Remove the stockfish from the oil, drain and keep warm.
7. Fry the spinach separately with oil and candied garlic.
8. Arrange the tripe in a soup plate, spread the spinach on top and finish with the stockfish.
I hope that with this recipe I have brought a bit of the Sicilian way of life into your own four walls. Maybe we'll see you here soon in the Saracen tower with a sea view. In any case, I would be happy to be able to offer you our delicious, in-house wine in addition to the Sicilian cuisine.