The "giant" apple strudel
THE HOTEL ZUM RIESEN PAMPERS US WITH A SOUTH TYROLEAN APPLE Strudel THAT IS PERFECT FOR THE PRE-CHRISTMAS PERIOD!
The retreat is a unique blend of an old, historic house that once served as a place of pilgrimage and stylish, modern elements. The house was built by Mali, the great aunt of the innkeeper Alexandra dell'Agnolo, led, later by their mother, Mrs. Emmy. The house has therefore been in since the 14th century woman hand. It was clear to Alexandra that she wanted to continue running the inn and so she says: "Arrived! The giant is my life's work, I've always known that - somehow."
Culinary delights in Vinschgau
At breakfast, guests are spoiled with homemade delicacies, the ingredients for which come from the surrounding area or from the hotel's own vegetable garden. The Kulturgasthof Pizzeria Tarscher Wirt belongs to the hotel and guests can stop there during the day and in the evening. The kitchen attaches great importance to quality and atmosphere.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 250 g flour
- 1 pinch of salt
– 1 tbsp seed oil
- lukewarm water
for the filling:
– 1,3 kg of tart apples
– 100 g roasted breadcrumbs
– Raisins soaked in rum
– sugar and lemon (depending on the acidity of the apples)
- some Milk
Preparation of the apple strudel:
1. Mix the above ingredients for the dough, knead and leave to rest.
2. In the meantime, peel the apples and cut into slices about 3 mm thick and mix with the breadcrumbs, cinnamon and raisins. Depending on the acidity of the apples, add some sugar or lemon.
3. Roll out the dough on a floured linen cloth, then carefully stretch the dough out over the floured backs of your hands and floured forearms until it reaches the desired thickness.
4. Then place the dough back on the floured cloth and cover a strip of dough with the apple mixture. Fold in the ends of the dough and roll up the strudel using the cloth. Brush with a little milk and bake in the oven at 175° C for about 30 minutes until crispy.
The Hotel Zum Riesen wishes you lots of fun baking and enjoying!
© Photos: To the giant