A weekend of modernist architecture in Faro
Faro has an incredible and unique collection of modernist buildings constructed between 1920 and 1979. This is primarily thanks to the collaboration of talented Portuguese architects with visionary builders. Most of them were wealthy emigrants from Latin America influenced by modernist avant-garde tropical architecture.
Together they adapted this approach to the climatic and cultural characteristics of the Algarve and created a unique style that we call "South Modern". This style is unique in the history of Portuguese architecture.
The hosts of our Good Travel Place “The Modernist” now invite you to a “Modernist Weekend” from November 11th to 13th.
"We want to share and spread awareness of the extraordinary and unknown architectural legacy of modernism in Faro, Portugal!"
Angie & Chris, owners of The Modernist Faro and organizers of the event
What awaits you:
• Explore Modernist buildings, homes and neighborhoods on small-group tours
• Learn more about the wonder of Faro's modernist architecture and its history
• Visit exhibitions inspired by modernism by international artists with the opportunity to also buy artworks there
• Meeting and networking with influential artists, architects, designers and architecture fans
• Enjoy cocktails and dinner under the Algarve sun
• Tour of selected Modernist properties for sale
The event language is mainly English.
The event is a non-profit organization. All profits are invested in the preservation and enhancement of Faro's modernist architecture.
More information about You can find the event and tickets here
More information about You can find accommodation “The Modernist” and the owners in this blog post