A recipe from Niklas Rappold, head chef from Star
Niklas Rappold, the head chef at Star takes us into his hotel kitchen and prepares a vegetarian dish together with us. We learn all kinds of insights and experience how ingredients and fresh food can be turned into delicious dishes in no time at all. Most of the ingredients come from our own farm, such as the spelled flour.
In the star the principle "with Butz and Stingl”Lived what Tyrolean stands for even more regional, even fresher and completely happy. Niklas and his team therefore deliberately choose regional foods and suppliers in order to give the guests at the Stern a moment of pleasure for body and soul. Many of the ingredients come from our own fields or herb garden in order to keep distances as short as possible.
Today we cook with him "baked potato-spelled dumplings" on a braised cabbage nest, which is served with a beetroot salad (called a beetroot salad in the star) and a rocket pesto.
Ingredients for baked spelled potato dumplings:
For people 4
For the spelled potato dumplings
- 500 g boiled, cooled and pressed potatoes (preferably from the day before)
- 200 g spelled flour
- 70 g wheat semolina
- 2 eggs
- 30 g of liquid butter
- Sunflower oil for deep-frying
- A handful of fresh herbs such as oregano, chives, flat leaf parsley
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg
For the herb nest
- 500 g white cabbage thinly sliced
- 80 g butter
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 80 g sour cream
- 20 g spelled flour
- Salt and cumin
For the beetroot salad
- 1 raw, peeled beetroot
- ½ spring onion
- 10 ml of olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the rocket pesto
- 20 g rocket (about a handful)
- 10 g grated mountain cheese
- 10 ml of olive oil
1. For the pesto: Put all ingredients in a blender or stir with a hand blender and keep until the dish is served.
2. For the potato-spelled dumplings: Cook the potatoes with their skins on so that the starch and all the more flavor remain in the potatoes. Then peel it, let it cool down and then press it. It is advisable to cook the potatoes the day before, then it goes much faster on the day of serving.
3. To prepare the dumplings, put the following ingredients in a bowl: pressed potatoes, spelled flour, wheat semolina, liquid butter, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper and the herbs. Do not cut the latter too finely so that you can still see and, above all, taste it. Mix the ingredients well, best kneading with your hands; but not too firm, so that the starch doesn't come out of the potatoes. Make sure that the dough is kneaded evenly so that the same bond is created everywhere. Shape the dough into small dumplings, i.e. round balls 3 to 5 cm in diameter. The dumplings can be boiled or baked in hot sunflower oil (please do not use olive oil for this) in a saucepan until they are golden brown, which takes about 5 to 7 minutes. If you like, you can also use a deep fryer at 180 degrees.
4. For the cabbage nest: melt the butter in a pan. Then the white cabbage is added and cooked firm to the bite. The vegetable stock (which was specially prepared beforehand at the star) is used to deglaze. The cabbage can be braised on a low setting for about ten minutes. In a bowl, the sour cream is mixed with the spelled flour, which is used to thicken, and then added to the white cabbage. Leave in the pan for another five minutes and turn the cabbage over and over again. The cabbage pan is seasoned with a pinch of salt and a little caraway.
5. For the beetroot salad: Peel the beetroot and cut into fine cubes. Transfer to a bowl and add the olive oil, vinegar and salt, as well as the finely chopped spring onion. Due to the strong and good taste of the beetroot, the salad does not have to be particularly seasoned. Mix everything well.
6. To arrange the plate: Place the cabbage nest in the middle of the plate, drape the beetroot salad around the cabbage, place three dumplings on the net. Put the rocket pesto around the arrangement. Sprinkle a few herbs on top as a decoration. During the live cooking with Niklas, the red clover served as a garnish, which we on The day before when larch bathing have collected.
Recipe for a vegan alternative
The dish can also be modified to be vegan: leave out the sour cream or use a vegan alternative. The egg in the dumplings can also be left out, as the flour and potatoes alone ensure a good bond. The butter can be exchanged for margarine.
Et voilà, the dish is ready! Bon Appetit.
- Niklas and the whole team from Star