A traditional recipe from the Swedish kitchen by Laura, who works for Ask mom
Ask Mutti is the advisor with a heart for the household and a conscious everyday life - with tips on the topics of cleaning and removing stains, cooking and baking, sustainability, gardening, cleaning and washing as well as health. As employees of Frag Mutti, we naturally like to bake and cook and try out new recipes. Laura has the delicious Swedish specialty Semla baked, which is best described as "Swedish cream puffs".
The cardamom yeast particles are traditionally filled with a marzipan-like mass and cream. Originally they were only eaten during Lent. In the meantime, however, the sweet delicacies are eaten from Christmas to Easter and of course taste great in every season. Semla go perfectly with "Fika", the Swedish coffee break, and ensure a successful change at the local coffee and cake wreath.
Ingredients for Semla:
For the yeast dough:
- 450 g flour
- 200 ml of milk
- 70 g sugar
- 1 egg (size M)
- 50 g butter
- 12 g of fresh yeast
- 5 g salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 egg to brush
For the filling:
- 125g grounded almonds
- 100 g sugar
- 1 pinch of cardamom
- 50 ml of milk
- 200 g whipped cream (at least 35% fat)
- 2 EL sugar
- powdered sugar
For the yeast rolls:
1. Heat the milk with the butter until the butter melts. This mixture should be warm and not hot. Then dissolve the yeast in the warm milk
2. In a separate bowl, add the flour, cardamom and sugar. Now add the eggs and the liquid ingredients. Knead for about 10 minutes until a smooth, even dough is formed.
3. Cover the bowl and wait for the batter to double. This can take different lengths of time depending on the room temperature. But you can expect about 2 hours.
4. Cut the dough into 8-9 parts and form balls. Place the dough pieces on a baking sheet with parchment paper and let rise again.
5. Brush the dough blanks with egg and bake at 180 ° C for 10 minutes until they are golden brown. Be careful not to leave them in the oven for too long.
6. Let the yeast rolls cool and cut off the lid. Scoop out the lower part with a spoon and remove the inside. Important: do not throw it away!
For the filling:
1. Mix the almonds, sugar, cardamom and milk in a bowl. Crush the inside of the yeast particles with your hands and add to the bowl. Fill the rolls with the almond mixture.
2. Whip the cream with the sugar and add to the filling as desired.
3. Put the lid back on and dust with powdered sugar.
We wish you a lot of fun baking and bon appetit! With us at Ask Mutti you will also find a video about the Semla and many more great recipes.
- Laura & the Frag-Mutti-Team