Janbeck's FAIRhaus bakes a bread cake with blueberries for us
A less waste recipe from Uta, host of Janbeck's FAIRhaus
The quality and appreciation of food is important to us at Janbeck's FAIRhaus. That is why we are a member of Slow Food eV and 80 percent of our food ingredients come from the immediate vicinity or the region. In our loose shop we offer our guests everything we purchase, also unpacked, so that everyone who visits us can see the quality for themselves.
Today we are happy to share our recipe for the popular bread cake with blueberries, with which fresh coffee tastes great, just in time for autumn. Incidentally, this recipe is an old country woman's recipe from the area and is ideal for using the remains of hard bread.
Ingredients for a bread cake with blueberries:
For the sponge cake base:
- 4 eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 100 g grated bread (black bread)
- 100 g flour
- ½ packet of baking powder
- 50 g coarsely grated chocolate
For the filling:
- 500 g whipped cream
- 500 g blueberries
- 50 g grated chocolate
1. Beat the eggs with the sugar until frothy. Mix the flour, breadcrumbs and baking powder and sift. Put the grated chocolate underneath.
2. Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Bake in a springform pan (28 cm) at 170 degrees for about 40 minutes. Let cool and divide the bottom in half.
3. Meanwhile, for the filling, mix the whipped cream with some of the blueberries and grated chocolate.
4. Place the lower half of the sponge cake in a cake ring. Layer the cream mixture on top. Put the second base on top and brush with cream.
5. Garnish with remaining blueberries or chocolate flakes as desired.
Tips from the chef personally:
It is best to use the slices of bread for the bread sponge cake. You can also let the slices get really hard in the residual heat of the oven and then grate them into small pieces in a food processor. I can also choose the dark fruits of the blueberries for an intense taste experience.
If you don't feel like cooking yourself, you can let us pamper you with culinary delights. Whether quiche, small snacks, a changing lunch menu or mini-cakes - on request, we bake and cook for our guests, who can enjoy the creative creations in the garden or in the holiday apartment.
I wish you a good appetite and hope you will soon be here in Janbeck's FAIRhaus to welcome!
– Uta and the whole team